Perfectly bilingual, Joel Roy specializes in civil and commercial litigation, and particularly in disciplinary and professional law. In this capacity, he regularly represents professionals before the Disciplinary Councils of Quebec’s many professional corporations. A growing aspect of Joel’s practice also concerns advising private, public and parapublic corporations on matters involving regulatory compliance, particularly in the healthcare space. Joel is also particularly interested in the legal issues surrounding the adoption of new technologies such as artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) in healthcare and MedTech, notably in regards to the ethical and professional obligations of professionals and corporations engaging with them.
An exceptional speaker and unrivaled popularizer, Joel also has extensive experience as a lecturer and speaker, and regularly shares his passion for disciplinary and professional law in front of his peers, professionals, and lay people alike. He is also the published author of Guide pratique de droit disciplinaire québécois (in French only) published by leading editor Wilson & Lafleur.
Outside of his duties as counsel and high stakes negotiator, Joel regularly intervenes in both official languages in front of all Quebec courts, including the Court of Quebec, the Superior Court, Disciplinary Councils, the Professions Tribunal, and the Quebec Court of Appeal.
- Member of the Quebec Bar, 2016
- McGill, LL.B/B.CL, McGill, 2015
- McGill, B.A. First Class Joint Honours, 2012
- Young Bar of Montreal Association
- Conference to the Association of Quebec Psychologists, « Naviguer le système disciplinaire -10 trucs de survie », Mai 2019
- Conference to the Bar of Richelieu, « La pratique du droit disciplinaire », Mars 2019
- Conference to the Quebec Bar Association, « La dissémination de propos diffamatoire sur les réseaux sociaux : conséquence prévisible ou novus actus interveniens ? », Mars 2018 (disponible en ligne : https://www.cbapd.org/details_fr.aspx?id=qc_as180314)